Thinking of Becoming a Surrogate in Huntington Lake, California?
Can you create hope for a family in need? Find out how to become a surrogate mom in and how you can help build a family.
There’s nothing more beautiful than the gift of life. Taking care of a child, raising it as your own, and watching it grow into a full-blown adult is priceless. Many people strive toward this in life, as they consider it the main point of their existence. However, not every family is able to conceive a child, which can be heartbreaking to hear.
Luckily, there are other options – and surrogacy is probably the best one!
Surrogates are the unsung heroes of this world. They make so many people’s dreams come true. Thanks to their generosity and selflessness, any family can continue its legacy and have a long, happy life!
You can be a surrogate mother too, and without much effort. It’s a rewarding experience that you’ll never forget.
If you’re considering becoming a surrogate mother in Huntington Lake continue reading. This step-by-step guide will teach you everything there is to know about surrogacy and help you get started.
Step 1: Making Sure You’re Ready for the Commitment
Surrogacy, although beautiful, is also long process. The whole surrogacy process lasts around a year or so. You’ll need to go through testing, legal contracts, and evaluation. These steps take a couple of weeks, and you need to go through all of them before actually getting pregnant. Then, when you do get pregnant, you have nine months of carrying the baby for the intended parents.
It’s also important to understand a surrogate’s body will go through changes during the process. If you want to be a surrogate, you need to be aware of all of this. Only then can you make the right decision.
Before making your decision, you should read about surrogacy in detail and make sure you understand every step clearly. Speak to your family and find out if they would be supportive of your decision. Also, you can consult a surrogacy specialist and they can answer any question that you might have regarding surrogacy.
Of course, all of this is nothing compared to the joy you’ll bring to individuals who can’t have children. And the contentment you’ll feel knowing that you made someone’s life better makes everything worth it.
Besides, if you have someone in your life who will support you throughout this process, you have nothing to worry about. As long as you listen to the fertility professionals and be regular to your appointments, everything will go smoothly.
Long story short – make sure you understand everything that surrogacy involves and the commitment it takes. Only then you can proceed to the next step.
Step 2: Contacting a Surrogacy Agency
A surrogacy agency is very important in the surrogacy process. It represents an intermediary between you and the parents, as well as the fertility clinic.
Once you finally decide you want to be a surrogate mom in Huntington Lake, the next step is contacting a surrogacy agency. They will give you all the information you need and answer all your inquiries. Besides that, the agency will monitor the whole process and guide you through every step of the way. You won’t have to worry about a thing!
Here’s what the agency helps you with:
- All the information regarding the surrogacy process
- A complete step-by-step plan to become a surrogate
- Matching with intended parents
- Support and guidance you throughout the process
- Screening services at a local fertility clinic
- Legal services
- 24/7 support
Just remember – you are doing an amazing thing by deciding to become a surrogate, and others are well aware of that. That’s why everyone around you will do their best to keep you happy and satisfied. A surrogacy agency in Huntington Lake or California will not only provide all the necessary services but also make you feel supported throughout your journey.
Step 3: Requirements to Become a Surrogate Mother in Huntington Lake
There are certain requirements when it comes to surrogacy. It’s such a delicate process, and it needs to run smoothly in order for it to be successful. In the light of that, not everyone can become a gestational surrogate in Huntington Lake, CA.
Before you take any further action, you need to make sure that you meet all the requirements. The agency will also help you with this part, as they’ll have to evaluate you first.
Here are some of the key requirements:
- You must be within a certain age group in order to be a surrogate. This requirement varies from agency to agency, but there is a universal rule – you can’t be over 45 or under 21.
- You have to be a non-smoker or non-drug user.
- Also, you have to be free of STDs. If you suffered from one before, you must be at least 12 months clean prior to surrogacy.
- You have to be healthy and strong. That includes having a healthy BMI. The minimum usually is 18, and the maximum is 30.
- You have to have at least one successful pregnancy in your past, but no more than five vaginal or three cesarean deliveries.
- Besides that, all of these pregnancies had to go smoothly, without complications.
- You mustn’t have a history of postnatal depression. If you consumed antidepressants or any similar psychiatric medication in the past, at least 12 months have to pass before you can be a surrogate mother.
- If you have any piercings or tattoos, it must be at least 12 months before.
- You mustn’t be a convicted felon.
- You should be able to travel in order to get to your appointments.
- Overall, you should have a healthy lifestyle and people around you who will support you and help you throughout the process.
If you meet all of these requirements, you are a good candidate for a surrogate mom.
Step 4: The Screening Process
The next part of the process is screening. Both you and the intended parents will go through it to ensure that you’re compatible. The screening process is different in every country, city, even agency, but there are some universal elements that will likely apply to Huntington Lake.
Here’s what screening looks like:
- The application: First, you’ll need to complete a brief questionnaire asking you about your general information and why you want to be a surrogate. Some agencies will include questions about your lifestyle, your medical history, your family, or even your personality. Whether this part will be included in the application or later in the screening process depends on the agency itself. After you’ve completed the application, you’ll most likely be called in for further evaluation.
- The physical exam and testing: This part includes a variety of tests. A general exam will give the doctors an insight into your overall health. Lab testing will determine whether or not you have STDs or any other diseases that might affect the surrogacy. Also, you’ll be tested for drug use. A fertility expert will do an ultrasound and vaginal exam to make sure your reproductive organs are healthy. There’s also a chance that your partner will be tested for STDs and drug use.
- The background check: As it was mentioned before, you mustn’t be a convicted felon. The agency will do a background check on you to make sure your criminal record is clean.
- Social evaluation: A social worker will pay you a visit at your home to see if you live in a healthy environment. He/she will ask you about your motivation for surrogacy and then go through the steps of the process with you. Feel free to ask any questions or share any thoughts. You will get to know each other and build a trusting relationship. They’ll be there for you the whole time.
- Psychological evaluation: Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. The psychologist will determine whether you’re mentally ready for surrogacy. He/she will also talk to you about how it can affect you mentally.
Video: Surrogacy in Huntington Lake
Step 5: Matching with Intended Parents
After you’ve completed the screening process successfully, it’s time to get matched with parents. The surrogacy agency will show you profiles and facilitate introductions. Once you decide to move forward with a certain couple of individual, the agency will set up a conference call.
Step 6: The Legal Contract
Before anything else happens, you’ll need to sign a contract. The contract can depend on many things, including your relationship with the parents, but some elements are mandatory. Every contract should contain yours and the parents’ legal rights and responsibilities, including:
- The exact amount of compensation
- Your obligations as a surrogate
- Potential risks of the procedure
- Your abdication of the child
You’ll need to read the contract thoroughly and discuss it with the attorney that your agency has provided. You can make some alterations and requests if you need to. After understanding and agreeing to everything that it says, you can sign it. The parents will also sign the contract.
Step 7: The Medical Process
The next step on how to become a surrogate in Huntington Lake is the embryo transfer and monitoring.
After signing all the paperwork, you are ready to start with the treatments. First, you’ll need to undergo some more testing, such as the blood work and the ultrasound. Then you can start getting injections and taking fertility medications. Doctors usually prescribe contraceptive pills and other hormone-regulative medication. You will need to be regular to your appointments, since the process needs to be precise like clockwork. Make sure you take the medication exactly as prescribed by the doctors.
The Embryo Transfer
When the time comes, the intended mother’s/donor’s egg will be fertilized with the intended father’s/donor’s sperm and incubated for some time. Then it’s time to transfer the embryo into your uterus. This procedure doesn’t take more than a few minutes. Plus, it’s totally painless. You’ll need to rest for a while at the clinic, after which you can go home. After that, you should rest for a couple of days.
Once the embryo has been transferred, you’ll be monitored all the time. You’ll need to have regular checkups that include the ultrasound, blood work, etc. When the doctors determine that you’re pregnant, you can go to your own OB-GYN for checkups. You’ll be closely monitored to ensure both your health and the health of the baby. That’s why it’s so important to have checkups every other day.
Also, during this process, you can choose to include the intended parents. They might want to experience everything along with you. However, it is your choice.
Step 8: The Birth
After nine months have passed and the pregnancy went without any complications, it’s time to deliver the baby. When you get into labor, you need to go to the hospital right away. The intended parents will go with you if that’s something that you established beforehand. Surrogate mothers typically opt for this because they know how amazing it is to witness the birth of your child. Besides, it’s nice to have someone there with you.
It’s not atypical for the surrogate and the parents to stay in contact after the process has ended. Some build a strong relationship during this incredible experience, so they feel an actual bond. However, that’s completely optional. After all, surrogacy is an individual experience, and it’s different for everybody.
Now that you know what surrogacy looks like and what it involves, would you consider becoming a surrogate? Applying to be a surrogate in Huntington Lake may provide a perfect opportunity to help people start a family.
Other cities you might be interested in: